In 2017 we celebrated I Am Research by opening up the Biomedical Research Centre to showcase the research within the different departments affiliated with the BRC and our partners. This included Research Nurses, Doctors, Radiographers, Sonographers, Podiatrists, Biomedical Scientists, Medical Physicists and Post Doc students from the University of Leeds as well as numerous members of the Patient and Public Involvement group.
• Tours of the Gait Lab with demonstrations by the Biomedical scientists and research podiatrists of the computer software used to measure the gait for research studies
• MRI Tours of the research specific 3 Tesla MRI in the research centre by senior MRI radiographers explaining the MRI scanning process and the MRI images from current musculoskeletal research projects that use MRI on the IMac and scanner computer
• Ultrasound demonstrations by the senior Musculoskeletal Research Ultrasonographer showing ultrasound techniques using the Voluson-I Laptop ultrasound scanner
• Demonstrations of the Biodex machine to show how data is collected and what it can be used to show
• Physiotherapy class by staff member in therapy department
• Tai Chi Beginners Session by Tai Chi trainer and core PPI group member
• Interactive stalls by the different departments including rheumatology, dermatology, therapy, clinical genetics, radiology and joint replacement
Please give thanks to all involved in today’s event. It was an exceptional event and a pleasure to attend. I fully agree with the sentiments expressed regarding the NIHR and hope that such efforts as today with bring about more awareness and further participation.